Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2014

What's a Carib to do?

Being born and raised in the Caribbean has given me a certain foundation for the person that I am now: psychologically, culturally, socially and so on. The interesting thing is that in the Caribbean you have access to many influences from all over the world. In my case in the 80's & 90's we had strong influences from both the USA and Venezuela. Of course there have been other countries and cultures, but these two I consider the dominant ones. In my case having a European mother did provide me with a third pillar of foreign influence next to the US and Venezuela. Even by being an Island part of the Dutch Kingdom, other than the education system, there was not much Dutch influence. We can see the results now, where most youngsters prefer English as a second language and hardly dominate Dutch. During the FIFA World cup it is very obvious. Less than 40% of the Inhabitants root for the Dutch National team.
To get back on topic. Currently I am living in The Netherlands, Europe, and there is a lot happening. The Crimea, Venezuela protests, Financial institutions that lost our trust, ecological problems, racism in politics etc. etc. Very negative. There are positive things as well, but unfortunately the media tends to focus a lot on the negative news (its a cliché, but I perceive it as such). As I get older (and wiser hahaha) I tend to reach back more and more to my Caribbean roots and look for comfort and solace to cope with daily life. Especially now that I have a family to take care of. (What values do I give my daughter?) Increasingly, I feel that also in the Caribbean we are becoming to westernized and adopt the bad practices of the old "mother countries" and larger "super powers". This is weakening the very thing I want to fall back on.
Local Marketplace in San Cristobal de Las Casas
during my Chiapas visit
working in tourism I always find it funny to see how certain people are proud of the fact that they tend to choose "original" destinations. Not yet tainted by western developement. Mostly these are (to western standards) underdeveloped countries where the people still live like they used to for the past say 100 years, and everything is cheap. Do they think these people chose this life? Not all of them, there are regions where they have, but these are then often called dangerous. Because they are considered rebels or dangerous outlaws. I remember visiting the province of Chiapas in Mexico. One of the most beautiful places on earth (in my opinion), but hardly any tourists. Even though they offer a whole lot. I got the feeling that the locals, especially from Mayan decent, did choose their current lifestyle. but when doing research they are considered dangerous by mainstream media. Just because they (mostly simple farmers) stood up against the big boys and re-claimed their lifestyle (chiapas conflict). So where are all these tourists looking for the "original experiential vacation". People don't be fooled by the media. And not even by this blog if you will. Find out for yourself. All I can say is that this blogpost comes from the heart, and it is up to you to do with it what you want.
What does this have to do with the Caribbean? Well, there are Islands trying their very best to maintain alifestyle that differs from the developed west, and others go the other way. I will be very open and honest here. I work in tourism and live off the developments in the Caribbean that one can argue are good or bad. So if I were to say I am this rebel propagating a return to original values, development of the region and a break with the west, would be hipocritical. Nevertheless, I am growing concerned with how things are developing and it is though making the right choices. For example, I have invested in a condo somewhere in the Caribbean. However, some questions keep haunting me. Was the land where the project is built on purchased in an honest way? The Builders (mostly from a much poorer Island), are they being treated fair? Will I take part of living in a bubble and turn my head from the much needed help on the other side of the fence? Therefore my daily question is: what am I doing to provide a positive contribution?
There are many other things on various Islands that I don't agree with or that anger/sadden me. But also a lot of beautiful and really good things. Maybe I worry too much, but unlike I posted earlier (Do not succumb to stress), I am unable to let worries of the present situation and therefore the future go.

Therefore the title for this blogpost, What's a Carib to do?

Trying to keep the overview (on life)


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment