Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

Career lessons from a bird

Respect for the spiritual and beyond is still normal in the Caribbean. It is getting less and less with newer generations, but as I mentioned in my previous blog "Superstition as a marketing tool", we can still learn from them. Sitting in a business hotel lobby in Basel, A memory sprung back into my mind. This is a true story and from time to time still keeps me pondering.

On a stormy night at home, I was sitting behind my computer when through the rain I could see a little bird sitting in a nest. It was really clinging to the branches of the ivy on my patio wall whilst being hit by large and heavy raindrops. The bird looked back at me and it was as if she wanted to say: “take a good look and learn, this could be you some day”. I have read about this phenomenon in many books by Caribbean authors and also by Best Selling author Paulo Coelho.

I felt compelled to help the bird, but did not know how. I remember my mother teaching me to never touch birds nests, because your scent will scare them away, leaving their young to die from starvation. All I could do was to keep on looking. The heavy rain continued for about 2 weeks. The mother bird would fly off for food every chance she could get. She hatched 2 eggs. The little birds grew fast. In less than 2 weeks they were already almost too large to fit into the nest. At some point they were ready to fly out. However, the heavy rain made this impossible. When they were old enough the mother left them and still not being able to fly, they were left on their own. It was frustratingly sad and exciting for me, as I could not help them, except watching them closely and rooting for their first flight.

One day (still raining) their nest was empty. I hoped they flew away well and thought it was all over. After 3 days I sensed that something was still out on my patio. Looking from my kitchen window I looked face to face with one of the little birds. It flew onto a ladder that goes to my roof. Unfortunately, that was as far as it was able to go. The other one was nowhere to be seen. That night it rained again and it was heavy. The bird clung to the ladder with no protection and battled each raindrop and the cold. At that moment, everything that makes a man a macho drops off and you are stripped of everything. A little bird, 3 weeks old, on its own fighting a storm. The courage…... And nothing I could do (have I helped it, it would never have been able to learn to fly and go on; also what food would I give a bird like that?).

After 3 days on the ladder I found it lying dead on the patio. The rain has won. Many emotions went through me as I was very angry and sad that I did not help it, despite what people say about not interfering with wild nature. Nevertheless….the sun came out that day and I saw something shining from behind the bushes of the ivy. Law and behold, it was the second little bird. While its sibling could not wait and flew into danger and eventually died, this one hid in the bushes and patiently waited for the sun to come out. It waited a couple of days. We shared glances each morning. And after a week or so, it flew away, coming back a couple of times to rest I guess. One of the last times I was the bird it also looked at me like it’s mother and it was as if it said: “My brother is dead, but learn from him. When there is a storm (forces stronger than you) don’t be hard-headed and try to go against it. Lay low, keep your eyes open and wait for the sun to come out. Know when it is your time”.

I buried the first little bird in the park nearby. And now that our world is going through storms (economic and financial crisis, reorganisations, layoffs etc. ) I remember this bird family. From everything I read and listen to, from newsletters, blogs, experts, it might be that the most practical lesson might be from them. Therefore, our Caribbean roots still play an important role in both my professional and personal life.

Our surroundings sometimes can be the best marketing teachers.





Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment